Now / what I'm up to
Stepping away from venture-backed tech during a pandemic to focus on my incredible wife, son, and daughter, a good night's sleep, and our lovely old house.
Me / at-a-glance
So far I’ve been an artist, hacker, animator, basketball coach, salesman, account guy, researcher, designer & product guy. I like it when customer happiness, employee happiness & healthy business form tight, mutual loops.
Lead Product Design and UX Research at Looker (3½ years) as a member of its product leadership group up through its acquisition by Google Cloud Platform.
As first product designer at Coda (1¾ years), learned how non-programmers think about programming, made a complex product more approachable, and was awarded two patents.
Lead Product Management & Design at Zazzle (2½ years), which taught my team manufacturing, marketplaces & tools. We rebranded, relaunched & grew again.
First employee & partner at ZURB (8¼ years). Many knew us for Foundation. Me? I think of the 200+ products we shipped (e.g. major projects with 23andMe, eBay, Facebook, NYSE).
Early adopter, frequent feedback-giver, and true fan of Figma, CloudApp, and Grammarly.
Ideas / ones that got recorded, at least
Interviews, Talks & Publications
- Mashable article about setting pace
- 24-hour Design-a-thon a documentary
- Google Tech Talk where I fast-talked
- About.com interview consulting lessons
Design & Management
- The Antidote to Know-It-All Management
- Steve Martin One fan's lessons
- The 10 Most Important Words in Design & Business
- Three Kinds of Lies With Data Inspired by Mark Twain
- Charles Darwin: Prototypical Designer
Data Science & Basketball
- Battles of the Barnes How the Warriors could've been in first place
- Clutch Is Overrated How the end of the game isn't so special
- Putting Back the "Kobe Assist" An analyst's work falls into a trap
- Are the Warriors Right? Is their new GM smarter than yours?
- How do I catch up on all the sports I missed? When 99.9% of them happen when I'm not watching
Plus my amateur attempt at journalism, covering the 2012 Western Economics Association conference in San Francisco: