Now / what I'm up to
I head Product Design and UX Research at Looker as a member of its product leadership group (2+ years already).
Me / at-a-glance
So far I’ve been an artist, hacker, animator, basketball coach, salesman, account guy, researcher, designer & product guy.
I was first employee & partner at ZURB (8 years). Some know us for Foundation. Me? I remember our 10x marketing boost & the 200+ products we shipped.
After contracting with them (7 years), I led product management and design at Zazzle (3 years), which taught me manufacturing, marketplaces & tools. We rebranded, relaunched & grew again.
Recently I led product design at Coda (1⅝ years, formerly "Krypton"), learned how non-programmers think about programming, and made a complex product more approachable.
Looking back, I like it when customer happiness, employee happiness & business form tight, mutual loops.
Ideas / ones that got recorded, at least
Interviews, Talks & Publications
- Mashable article about setting pace
- 24-hour Design-a-thon a documentary
- Google Tech Talk where I fast-talked
- About.com interview consulting lessons
Design & Management
- Six Principles of Logo Design Fundamental patterns to follow
- The Antidote to Know-It-All Management
- Steve Martin One fan's lessons
- The 10 Most Important Words in Design & Business
- Three Kinds of Lies With Data Inspired by Mark Twain
- Charles Darwin: Prototypical Designer
Data Science & Basketball
- Battles of the Barnes How the Warriors could've been in first place
- Clutch Is Overrated How the end of the game isn't so special
- Putting Back the "Kobe Assist" An analyst's work falls into a trap
- Are the Warriors Right? Is their new GM smarter than yours?
Plus my amateur attempt at journalism, covering the 2012 Western Economics Association conference in San Francisco: